Tuesday, February 21, 2006

There Goes the Neighborhood - After 47 years, neighborhood gem Uptown Snack Shop is forced out of business

After 47 years in business, the Uptown Snack Shop, a neighborhood institution, was given 30 days notice to vacate, and will close this Saturday, February 25th. With a brand-new Borders, once-posh Uptown is struggling to cast off its long held status as a refuge for the city's poor, and the museum-quality Snack Shop has found itself in the way. Read all about it and see the photo's here.

2 comments:

Roger E. Jones said...

Lynn:

I love reading your posts. Sorry it's taken me 2 years to respond to this one! I used to visit the Wilson/Broadway area on my bike when I was a northwestern student in the 70s, and I also liked the faded grandeur and "urban" feel of the Wilson station and the wide swath of El tracks slicing through the area. Perhaps you know that there was originally a Frank Lloyd Wright building adjoining the station entrance? See http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/wilson.html

Anonymous said...

i worked for Ted and Pete in the 50's
and early 60's
fondly remembered time in my life
had not been back in over 30 years
sorry i did not go again
thought it would always be there
my bad
my best to the Phillos family
eunice